California Health Science University
The Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education is responsible for the operations of the Graduate Medical Education Development and support. They provide program direction, coordination, and support for training programs.
This position works in an assigned area and provides assistance to the administrative team and the Dean in all areas related to the administration and management of the overall area of assignment, including but not limited to liaison with the clinical education clerkships programs. Work contacts include administrators, faculty, staff, staff of our community partners and affiliated agencies and the public.
This position reports to the Dean; receives direction related to educational, instructional, occupational, continuing education and/or related goals and objectives; specific instructions regarding non-routine and highly sensitive matters.
• Provide leadership and organize resources to assist GME-sponsoring institutions and GME sponsored programs in achieving substantial compliance with the ACGME Institutional Requirements, thereby maintaining ACGME Accreditation
• Provide leadership and support to the CHSU Graduate Medical Education Committee and its subcommittees.
• Ensure the annual review and approval of a statement of institutional commitment to GME that specifies, at a minimum, a commitment to providing necessary educational, financial, and human resources.
• Prepare an annual report of GME activities in accordance with ACGME requirements pertinent to content and present to hospital, regional and corporate leadership
• Contribute, as requested, to corporate strategic plan development for medical education.
• Review correspondence and documents submitted to the ACGME that address educational deficiency citations or significant changes in the institution or its programs, including financial, that affect their ability to meet accreditation standards
• Develop all polices, protocols and guidelines necessary for the administration and conduct of GME at the institutional and program levels.
• Assist with the process for re-accreditation of the institution and programs by the ACGME.
• Assist with conducting regular internal program reviews an accordance with ACGME requirements and institutional protocols
• Help maintain all necessary records, documents and databases for programs, residents, fellows and the institution necessary for regulatory and accrediting purposes and for GME reimbursement as mandated by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
• Recruit and provide necessary support for the professional educators, information specialists, and operation personnel necessary for the educational and administrative conduct of the Office of Graduate Medical Education.
• Develop educational programs at the institutional level for implementation across all GME programs
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine
• Doctoral degree in educational leadership or organizational development preferred, or D.O. or M.D.
Skills & Experience:
• At least five (5) years of professional experience including two (2) years of experience working in Graduate Medical Education
• Must be eligible for a California State medical license (if DO or MD)
• Distinguished record of academic scholarship and research preferred
• Medical education, organization, and structure
• ACGME and related review committee’s accreditation requirements, policies, and procedures
• In use of personal computer software and databases, including ACGME data collection systems, residency management systems software and electronic evaluations systems
• Plan, direct and evaluate programs and/or services
• Supervise assigned staff
• Coordinate activities with a variety of college staff and departments
• Prepare and administer budgets
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Establish cooperative working relationships with persons contacted in the course of performing assigned duties
• Excellent decision-making and problem-solving skills
• An ability to develop and implement strategies to address long-term opportunities
• Strong team leadership and communication skills, excellent interpersonal abilities
• Innovative and creative ideas for success in a changing landscape of research funding
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to manage multiple demands and competing deadlines
CHSU offers a competitive benefits and compensation package. Salary is commensurate with experience.